Solute becomes part of the European R&D&I

Right from the start, Solute has postulated itself as an engineering consulting company with a cutting edge technological component. The company has been growing steadily since its foundation in 2006; such development has enabled and vindicated its participation in several R&D projects.

Over the past two years, Solute has done great investment in R&D&I allocating resources not only to the development of sound and structured proposals but also to the consecution of future R&D&I projects. It is currently developing its in-house software tool for wind prediction and evaluation of wind resource (ETSWIND project). With the funding support from the Centre for the technological Industrial Development (CDTI) and in collaboration with the universities Alcala de Henares and Politécnica de Madrid. Additionally, Solute is going to participate in two new projects within the Seventh Framework Pogramme (FP7) of the European Union (2007-2013), in which it will work hand in hand with other European companies and important R&D centers.

Last week company’s representatives for this initiative travelled to Brussels for the kick off meeting of the first project SOLUTE got awarded: The SWIP project. This project is led by the Centre of Research of Energetics Resources and Consumptions (CIRCE) of Zaragoza. 13 European companies from 10 different countries are also involved in the project. Those other team members come from Germany, Belgium, Spain, France, Holland, United Kingdom, Ireland, Lithuania, Poland and Sweden. The goal of this project is to develop three small wind turbines, two with horizontal axis and one with a vertical axis, to operate in urban and nearby areas. Multiple challenges ought to be faced and not only technologically speaking, striving for improvements in the electrical and mechanical components, but also at a social level, working to accomplish reduction of noise and vibrations in small wind turbines. This worry for the community’s wellbeing is not all altruistic; hopefully the local inhabitants will support the development of the small wind energy industry in their cities.

In this project, Solute is responsible for the design and calculations of the new blades and the three hubs including the structural integration into the buildings so as to cause minimum visual impact.

The project will take 44 months for completion. It has been granted 6,5 million euros, 75% of which come from the European Commission and the remaining 25% from different companies and R&D centers.

The second project in which Solute will be involved is called WINDUR and it is embraced in the “Research for SME” program, as if it were a subtask. Project team is composed by 9 companies from 6 different countries: Belgium, Denmark, Spain, Ireland, United Kingdom and Sweden. The purpose of this initiative is to develop an efficient small wind turbine for the urban environment. Solute’s role in this project is the development of the software for the correct analysis of the wind resource in urban environment, taking into account the inconvenient of high turbulence in these areas. Solute will work with the Uppsala University of Sweden in the implementation of the software. The final goal is to include this urban environment analysis software module into the software that is currently under development in SOLUTE: the ETSWIND project, thus composing fully featured software for wind prediction and wind resource capable analysis of competing with other commercial software in the market. The project is led by the Gant university and the budget is almost 1,5 million euros.

Solute became part of this consortium through the RTDI consulting company, who conformed the consortium, a collaboration agreement between the parties has been executed in order to ease applications for future R&D European projects.

This post is meant to briefly introduce the projects that have come up to the moment. We will continue reporting and going deeper in their developments.